Search the Web

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Election Day...Another Holiday








Monday at noon we learned that today is election day. No work in the state of Haryana where we live. No alcohol on sale from Sunday at 5 pm until Tuesday at 5 pm due to the elections. Once again we learned about this dry time on Sunday night on our way over to a friend's apt. We decided to take advantage of the holiday and head to the India Gate near downtown Delhi. I started the morning off with brunch at my new Canadian friend Christine's apartment while Ben caught up on work. She made homemade pancakes with pure imported 100% Canadian Maple syrup. MMM! I got to see the reaction of her Indian roommate and her boyfriend eat pancakes for the first time. They liked them! It was really a treat! Christine joined Ben and I for an afternoon at the India Gate and then took us to a South Indian Restaraunt called "Banana Leaf" near Connaught Place. It is a vegetarian restaraunt where we tried different types of Dosa. I went with plain, Ben had Masala, and Christine had coconut masala. It is kind of like a combination between a pancake/crepe and potato/rice bread. It was edible and cheap, but really didn't have much flavor. Sometimes in India that is a good thing as it means your stomach will be ok. Tomorrow is Crowne Plaza brunch day with the Gurgaon Connection group. A true highlight of my week and a great way to meet new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment