Search the Web

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New Adventures

This past week we have had several fun new adventures.

1) Sunday we took in church at the New Delhi Christian Fellowship held in the British School Auditorium. A gym filled with Christians from all backgrounds and walks of life. It started out like a Southern Baptist praise and worship hour, but then tamed down as Pastor Karl Smith, from Minnesota, started his sermon by talking about "Being Prepared" with his Boy Scout pocket knife. A very worldly group who welcomed us with open arms.

2) Sunday after church we took in the AWA (American Women's Association) fall mela at the American School just down the street from the British School. A beautiful day in the sun walking from booth to booth to look at the next craft. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, socialize with existing friends, and tour the inside of the very impressive American Embassy School. One highlight was the "real" hamburger we got at the concession stand for about $1.50.

3) Tuesday I had my first meeting with Sachiyo and Rie my new Japanese pupils. Once a week we are going to start getting together to help with English and learn Christianity. Sachiyo is a Christian and Rie wants to learn about it. Both were raised Buddhist in Japan as most people there are and now they want to learn. I currently attend Bible study with Sachiyo so she asked if I could help explain Christianity to Rie. This was honestly the first time in my life when I have tried to explain the Bible, communion, baptism, and everything else to someone who literally knows nothing. She has a dual language Japanese/English Bible that she uses and I literally didn't know where to start. This is definitely going to be a very educational journey for both of us.

4) Morning Walk-This morning we walked to the little park 1 block over from our apt. It was packed full of elderly people out walking around the circular dirt path. It is a quaint little place full of beautiful flowers and the rare greenery that India is lacking. One corner of the park there were 8 adults gathered doing morning yoga together, the middle featured 2 women sitting on the park benches meditating, and the place was truly alive with energy. Ben and I are bound and determined to become regulars as it is the perfect way to start off the morning before returning to the apartment for breakfast.

We are settling in more and more every day and continuing to learn about our new place of residence. I refuse to use the word home to describe India!

No comments:

Post a Comment