Saturday December 5th, 2009 at 9:30 am we received our first order of beef from "The Butcher King." My friend Shirley from Minnesota gave me his number and said he has good product. It only took 5 phone calls and we had established when he was coming, where to deliver, what I wanted to order, and the price. He arrived, the security guard brought him to our apartment, and he asked where is cutting board and knife mam. Shirley had warned me that he will cut up the meat if you let him. I thought I needed the entire cultural experience, therefore I let the strange man walk in and gave him a cutting board. He walked to the sink and washed his hands and made himself right at home. He pulled out three chunks of meat. There was a tenderloin with a roast attached to each. I asked if it was water buffalo or beef and he assured me beef. If that is the case then it was one of the smaller beef tenderloins that I have seen in a few years. He asked what I wanted steaks, cubed, or roasts. I asked for a nice assortment of all three. He was definitely not a foreigner to meat cutting and I just watched in awe. I asked when the beef was slaughtered and he informed me last night so that was reassuring. I asked where the beef came from and he said, "Outside of Delhi, it is illegal in the city." Then he used the word black market. So I'm not sure if it is legal or not, but I guess we can rule out that he is not Hindu. He asked where I came from and then informed me of beef prices in the US being three times as expensive as his beef. A true salesmen! He came, cut up the meat, dropped a few business cards on the table, and was out the door in about 10 minutes. Very professional! Beef, it's whats for dinner!
We tackled 18 months in India and now after surviving "Life on the Other Side" we have relocated to Germany for a more civilized approach at married life. We don't know where the wind will take us, but we know we have each other and another wonderful opportunity to meet new people and explore new cities.
Search the Web
Saturday, December 5, 2009
The Butcher King
Saturday December 5th, 2009 at 9:30 am we received our first order of beef from "The Butcher King." My friend Shirley from Minnesota gave me his number and said he has good product. It only took 5 phone calls and we had established when he was coming, where to deliver, what I wanted to order, and the price. He arrived, the security guard brought him to our apartment, and he asked where is cutting board and knife mam. Shirley had warned me that he will cut up the meat if you let him. I thought I needed the entire cultural experience, therefore I let the strange man walk in and gave him a cutting board. He walked to the sink and washed his hands and made himself right at home. He pulled out three chunks of meat. There was a tenderloin with a roast attached to each. I asked if it was water buffalo or beef and he assured me beef. If that is the case then it was one of the smaller beef tenderloins that I have seen in a few years. He asked what I wanted steaks, cubed, or roasts. I asked for a nice assortment of all three. He was definitely not a foreigner to meat cutting and I just watched in awe. I asked when the beef was slaughtered and he informed me last night so that was reassuring. I asked where the beef came from and he said, "Outside of Delhi, it is illegal in the city." Then he used the word black market. So I'm not sure if it is legal or not, but I guess we can rule out that he is not Hindu. He asked where I came from and then informed me of beef prices in the US being three times as expensive as his beef. A true salesmen! He came, cut up the meat, dropped a few business cards on the table, and was out the door in about 10 minutes. Very professional! Beef, it's whats for dinner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment