Search the Web

Friday, March 12, 2010

The Happy School

Today was Day 1 of volunteering at The Happy School. It was such an amazing and eye opening day. A woman named Kamal Capoor started the school in 1998 under a tree. Now they are using an old government building and are completely volunteer driven. Something like 300 children go to school there where they otherwise would be on the streets begging or alone while their parents work. I will be working with what they call the nursery age children who are anywhere from 5-8 years old. Today we worked on ABC's, counting, and just introducing simple addition. I wasn't much help during the Hindi lesson, but another person is always needed to keep the children in line. They are all little characters, but absolutely precious. I have a feeling this is really going to be a wonderful opportunity for me while I'm in India. You can read more about the school by clicking on the title The Happy School above.

No comments:

Post a Comment