Tuesday afternoon I hosted my first German Coffee Party. I had met the ladies from our street at the May Day party and decided it would be nice to follow up with a traditional cake and coffee gathering. I formerly invited everyone with the idea that it was my last chance to do a mid week coffee party, because next week I start working full time. My invitation was well received and all the ladies arrived promptly at 3 pm. I had baked a beautiful carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and nuts Tuesday night and was ready for a fun afternoon. To my surprise everyone brought little gifts for me. I didn't know what to say besides, "Das war Nett! (That was nice!)" As you can see in the picture it was anything from little flower/plant pots to meaningful sayings. I knew it was traditional to bring flowers or maybe some chocolates, but I didn't know little gifts were expected. Now I'm really glad I hosted the first coffee time otherwise I wouldn't have known! Ben said, yes it is traditional, but maybe they were also welcoming us to the neighborhood and celebrating your new job. Either way it was really a fun surprise. All of the ladies loved our brightly painted dining/living room and I think it was fun for them just to see the inside of our home. The carrot cake was a hit and all 8 ladies and 3 little kids seemed to have an enjoyable time. In the end I was glad that I spent nearly 3 hours laboring over my carrot cake! I'm taking on the "one and done" philosophy now and waiting for coffee invites from others.
We tackled 18 months in India and now after surviving "Life on the Other Side" we have relocated to Germany for a more civilized approach at married life. We don't know where the wind will take us, but we know we have each other and another wonderful opportunity to meet new people and explore new cities.
Search the Web
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Kaffee Zeit (Coffee Time)
Tuesday afternoon I hosted my first German Coffee Party. I had met the ladies from our street at the May Day party and decided it would be nice to follow up with a traditional cake and coffee gathering. I formerly invited everyone with the idea that it was my last chance to do a mid week coffee party, because next week I start working full time. My invitation was well received and all the ladies arrived promptly at 3 pm. I had baked a beautiful carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and nuts Tuesday night and was ready for a fun afternoon. To my surprise everyone brought little gifts for me. I didn't know what to say besides, "Das war Nett! (That was nice!)" As you can see in the picture it was anything from little flower/plant pots to meaningful sayings. I knew it was traditional to bring flowers or maybe some chocolates, but I didn't know little gifts were expected. Now I'm really glad I hosted the first coffee time otherwise I wouldn't have known! Ben said, yes it is traditional, but maybe they were also welcoming us to the neighborhood and celebrating your new job. Either way it was really a fun surprise. All of the ladies loved our brightly painted dining/living room and I think it was fun for them just to see the inside of our home. The carrot cake was a hit and all 8 ladies and 3 little kids seemed to have an enjoyable time. In the end I was glad that I spent nearly 3 hours laboring over my carrot cake! I'm taking on the "one and done" philosophy now and waiting for coffee invites from others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Such a pretty table Jodi ---All those 4-H years are paying off!
ReplyDeleteAunt Karla
Hi Jodi,
ReplyDeleteThe table looks to inviting! How lovely of everyone to bring you gifts. Coffee and Cake - sehr Deutsch!
I'm having a 'no body understands me' moment here in Gurgaon so I'm looking through expat blogs for moral support. Did you know you are listed on ExpatWoman blog roll - you're famous! I'm looking forward to reading more.
Take care,
Helen Colegate