We tackled 18 months in India and now after surviving "Life on the Other Side" we have relocated to Germany for a more civilized approach at married life. We don't know where the wind will take us, but we know we have each other and another wonderful opportunity to meet new people and explore new cities.
Search the Web
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
German Botanical Cemetery
Now that I am feeling healthy again I decided to walk downtown tonight. It was a slow walk, but I made it there and back in under an hour. On the way home I decided to walk through the cemetery near the very large Catholic church. I have not walked through many German cemeteries, but I have always noticed a lot of people going to them for a visit. Once inside I felt like I was honestly in a botanical garden. Each little grave site is cared for by the family. They all have traditional American looking new age head stones with family name and dates. Then instead of grass like in the US the 3 x 6 foot area is decked out to the max with flowers, manicured bushes, burning candles, fresh flowers in vases, rocks, and so on. There were lots of people working in their little cemetery grave area/community gardens. It was absolutely amazing! There were so many people around that I couldn't possibly pull out my camera for a picture, but just picture the most decked out flower/bush patch that you can imagine. The competition to keep up with your neighbor would be too overpowering for me. Maybe gardening is a way to overcome grief, I'm not sure? The cultural experiences never stop!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment