Search the Web

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Love/Hate

As we approach our final week in India the reality is starting to set in and my mind is jumping back and forth between wanting to go and being sad to say goodbye. In an expat community like India you form very strong friendships and bonds that allow you to get through the tough times. In a way these people are family as they are here to celebrate holidays and hold our hand when bad news from the west is received. I'm so sad for those who are stuck living here, but can't deny that I'm overjoyed to be getting out. It is difficult to say goodbye to so many people who we will probably never see again in our lives. I realized today at lunch that I have reached the point where I shouldn't be going to lunch with the girls any longer. I'm at an annoying stage where the smart comments flying from my lips are not appropriate and those who are staying here another 2-3 years definitely don't appreciate. With 8 days remaining I think I need to break my lines of communication and try to relax and enjoy the final moments. I can't honestly say I loved India, but I can't say I hated it either. The country had its shining moments and now it is time for us to move on and have a normal life for a few years. I know when the final plane takes off next week I will be relieved, but the final week is not going to be easy saying goodbye to everyone. I keep telling myself that we are leaving as stronger and more mature people because of this wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment