Tomorrow morning bright and early we are boarding the train for Munich and a weekend at the 201st Oktoberfest. We have a three day holiday weekend here in Germany as Monday is German Unity Day.
We are meeting up with friends in Munich and plan to attend the biggest tourist attraction in Germany and the largest fair in the world. I believe something like 6.5 million people attend Oktoberfest over its 16-18 day period. The festival is designed to end on German Unity Day(October 3rd/also Grandpa Stabe's 87th Birthday!). Most Germans would question or have questioned why we are going, as they view it as an overpriced, non authentic, and totally materialized event. They suggest that we go to some of the smaller towns in Bavaria and visit the breweries, but we are determined to see the big show once in our life. The festival has very strict rules that all the beer is brewed within the city limits of Munich. Oktoberfest beer has 5.8-6.3% alcohol and a high sugar content. Hence the reason why so many have problems with drunkenness at Oktoberfest. The average German beer has 5.2% alcohol content and low sugar. I'll report back on Tuesday my findings!
I worked through the 4th of July and Labor Day so now I feel like it is only fair that I get a three day weekend. I've earned it! Today was officially 4 months with the company, despite the fact that I had a 3 week sick leave in August for my appendix/stomach issues. Work is going really well! I think my job as a Sales Assistant is a good fit. I really enjoy working with people from all over the world. I translate Chinese English emails for my coworkers and they translate the Slovakians speaking German to me. It works well! Oh, it is hard not to laugh sometimes. Today I talked to a Chinese man speaking German ON THE TELEPHONE. I couldn't understand him, he couldn't understand me, and in the end we both just hung up and sent emails.
Have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment