Search the Web

Thursday, February 9, 2012

BEAUTIFUL DÜSSELDORF



January 28th and 29th we visited the beautiful city of Düsseldorf Germany along the world famous Rhine River. It was actually Ben's Christmas present from me a "Romantic Weekend in Düsseldorf." I think I picked it because I love the name. We lucked out and had sunny weather with bearable temperatures. Königsallee is the main shopping street in Düsseldorf and breathtaking in winter. I would love to see it in summer when everything is green. The shops are all upscale to accommodate the wealthy folks of the area. We took the train down and enjoyed romantic strolls through the city and the majestic overview from the Rhine Tower that gives a 360 degree view of the city at 789 feet.






It was really refreshing to be back in a city again and enjoy the luxuries of city dining and transportation. We ate lunch at an amazing Japanese Restaurant and found a really fun cocktail bar called Mai Tai to end our Saturday evening. The big difference between Düsseldorf and other cities in Germany is the unique architecture. It is a very modern style that uses glass as a centerpiece. Despite the fact that I am sure the cost of living would be double Ankum, I would move to Düsseldorf in a heartbeat just to be around the international culture and city life. The longer we live in our little village of 7,000 the more I realize how much I miss city life.

Facts on the city:
1) The Düsseldorf convention center organizes 1/5 of the world's premier trade shows.
2) It is the 7th most populated city in Germany with 589,682 people.
3) It is the capital city of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
4) It ranked 6th worldwide in 2009 in Mercer's Quality City's to Live.
5) It is home to the largest Japanese population in Germany with over 11,000 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment