Search the Web

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rain Pain






People constantly ask me how I find India. The first word that always pops into my head is frustrating. Trying to describe frustration of India to a person outside is difficult, but today I have a prime example. 1 pm the driver was suppose to be at the apt. to pick me up. It is 2:36 pm and still there is no driver. Why? Well, it is monsoon season and after an hour of downpour the streets are flooded. I learned very early on in my stay to not get my hopes up about evenings out or events as anything can happen. It is always the most random excuse, but an important one. Today it was because the driver had to donate blood in an emergency situation for the Vice President's wife. How can one argue when the driver is trying to do good? The frustrating part is that last night I baked a chocolate cake for 2 pm Bible Study today and prepared all the ingredients that I needed for a party we are going to tonight. The chocolate cake is now sitting and staring me in the face saying "EAT ME!" and the preparations last night were because I was going to be rushed for tonight's party. Well, now I find myself with plenty of time!

The reality is that it is no one's fault and none of it is a necessity, but it is the idea of never knowing when or where a person is going. My level of flexibility and patience has grown more than anything during my 11 months in India. When we leave atleast I can say I am a more relaxed person because of these almost daily occurences. The additional frustration comes when the guilt sets in. Prime example is the fact that I am currently venting about not getting to go to my precious Bible Study. The part that people don't understand is that this once a week event is what keeps me ticking here in the "land of never knowing." It lifts my spirits each week and yet now it has me feeling guilty. I may not be working and my life may seem posh to some, but that does not mean it is easy.

***Pictures were taken infront of our apartment after heavy rain today. The cute man in the water is our little security guard who was SO excited to get his picture taken.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures....wish I had my camera at the office today; Golf Course Road was a muddy river standstill....

    ReplyDelete