Happy Thanksgiving to all! This year we will celebrate our first Thanksgiving in Germany and we have invited Ben's parents, brother, and his girlfriend to join. Naturally they are ecstatic about getting to experience their first American Thanksgiving. It definitely took some planning on our end to plan an authentic menu, but things are shaping up pretty good. Last night I made a test run of green been casserole from my substituted list of ingredients. I had not made the casserole in nearly 5 years so I wanted to brush up on my skills before I presented it at the first German Thanksgiving Celebration. However, I told Ben that we can't screw up the meal because they have no idea what a real American Thanksgiving dinner tastes like. On one hand I hope it all turns out, on the other hand I don't want to set the bar too high or they will expect it every year. How horrible is that thought process?
Ben ordered the bird online despite the fact that the stores now have frozen birds for sale. Would have been good information to know! Our bird arrived fresh Wednesday from a local farm where I am sure it was raised free range and drug free. I don't have too high of expectations on the taste of the bird as I am sure it will taste dry to me as all American turkeys are probably pumped with water. Let's face it, it's no Butterball! Either way it will be a fun challenge to try and pull off our first year hosting Thanksgiving.
We are celebrating Thanksgiving Friday evening as we have to work on Thursday. I am taking Friday afternoon off to start cooking dinner. Earlier this week I informed my coworkers that I would be gone Friday afternoon. One clever guy asked if I was celebrating "Black Friday." I told him yes, at exactly 12 German time the sales start and I need to be online. HA! Unfortunately I also promised him a turkey leg, but I doubt that will happen with the Stabe men in the house. Let's just see how many people tell me Happy Thanksgiving at work today. I'm guessing NONE! All you nurses, doctors, police men & women, and firefighters can think of me today as I will also be working.
In October I brought Libby's canned pumpkin with me and a box of Stove Top stuffing so we are set with a few of the American classics. I have pulled out my oil pastry crust from India as Germany doesn't have Crisco shortening. It is constantly a struggle to find substitutions and wonder how recipes will turn out. I guess we will just have to wait and see Friday night!
No comments:
Post a Comment