It is obvious that good meat is in small supply in India, but the two other food groups that I didn't think about were cheese and wine. Sure, a person can get anything they want here if they open up their wallet wide enough. However, I never thought I would be faced with the decision of "how much is too much for a good piece of cheese?" These questions are not things that they teach at The University of South Dakota. Maybe if I had gone to SDSU, I would have all the answers. Good imported cheese is at least 350 rupees=$7.49 for a small piece where local cheese is around 100 rupees=$2.14. How much flavor is one willing to sacrifice for $5.00?
Prior to India I had just really started to enjoy a good glass of wine. A drink that can be sipped and savored, while still joining in on a business dinner. German Riesling late harvest is my favorite, but not something easily available here. A decent bottle of the most affordable imported wine is 1200 rupees=$25.70. A person can buy that same bottle of imported German wine for $10.00 at Kroger. We import wine in our luggage each trip, but it is not a six month supply. The nights we do get to enjoy a good bottle of wine are special occasions.
My father and brother have always asked me if I want cheese with my wine. The honest truth is "YES" I want both cheese and wine!
No comments:
Post a Comment